Meatless Monday dinner was Mushroom Stroganoff over Vietnamese Noodles, Paulie said it was the best vegetarian meal he's ever had! Now that's praise coming from a devout meat eater.
- 1 medium onion (yellow or Vidalia) chopped
- 1 large leek, rinsed, drained and chopped into half moon
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 1 lb of your favorite mushrooms, I used Baby Portabellas, thickly sliced
- 8 oz of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of veggie paste *optional*
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup red wine *optional*
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon No-Salt Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch (added to a ladleful of liquid from the mushrooms) *optional*
Saute onions and leeks till transparent but not browned, add sliced mushrooms and cook till they release most of their liquid. Then add veggie broth, seasoning and herbs and simmer for 10 minutes. If the liquid is not reduced enough, take 1 teaspoon of Cornstarch in a heat safe bowl and add a ladleful of liquid from the pot to make a slurry which will prevent clumping. Add the slurry to the pot and mix well. Off the heat add sour cream, parsley (reserve some for garnish) to the pot. Serve over egg noodles or like we did the thin Vietnamese noodles with a dollop of sour cream, scallions and parsley. Remaining mushrooms and onions were used to make Cream of Mushroom soup.
Post a Comment
I love comments and constructive critiques, just be kind, this is just for fun after all.